Dental technology has advanced significantly over the past ten years. Now dentists have the cutting-edge tools and machines to easily and efficiently improve their patients’ oral health.
This is especially true for dental crowns. Traditional dental crowns have always required multiple trips to the dentist, messy impressions, and other complications. Thanks to new CEREC technology, your San Diego, CA dentist can now plan, create, and place dental crowns in a single visit.
Here’s everything you need to know to understand how CEREC same-day crowns make it so easy to protect your oral health and smile with confidence.
How Does a Dental Crown Work?
A dental crown is a customized “cap” that mimics the exact size and structure of your tooth. It’s used to cover a damaged tooth and restore the tooth’s shape, size, strength, and appearance.
Crowns are often constructed from many different materials, including metal, resin, and ceramic. Each material offers unique benefits.
Some patients prefer metal crowns since they’re strong and long-lasting. But due to their unsightly appearance, mental crowns are usually reserved for out-of-sight molars. Resin crowns tooth-colored and affordable, but they don’t offer the durability of metal crowns.
This leaves one alternative that offers a win-win for all patients: ceramic crowns. Ceramic crowns are created with durable porcelain that creates a natural translucent appearance on your treated teeth.
Who Needs Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns are popular tools in restorative dentistry procedures. They reinforce and protect damaged teeth. You can think of a dental crown as the first layer of protection against severe tooth damage or extraction.
A crown may be the best solution to prevent future complications if you:
- Need to cover a tooth after a root canal
- Want to cover or restore unattractive teeth
- Want to reinforce a tooth with a large filling
- Have a weak tooth that needs protection from future damage
By placing an extra layer of protection and support over vulnerable teeth, dental crowns offer an effective way to maintain your healthy smile and keep all of your teeth intact.
How Do Traditional Crowns Work?
Traditional dental crowns are very common. They’ve been used since the invention of modern dentistry to protect and strengthen vulnerable teeth.
Placing a traditional dental crown requires two separate office visits. During the first appointment, your dentist takes x-rays and impressions of the affected tooth. A separate lab receives your impressions and uses them to create a customized crown. This part of the process takes about two to three weeks. You may receive a temporary crown to keep your damaged tooth protected.
The next appointment occurs after the manufacturing, shipping, and preparation of your final crown. Your dentist affixes the crown to your permanent tooth with strong adhesive to keep it firmly in place.
CEREC same-day crowns make this traditional process obsolete. CEREC technology eliminates the need for a lab entirely. It allows your dentist to complete every dental crown procedure in one visit.
How Are CEREC Same-Day Crowns Different?
Chairside Economic Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics (CEREC) crowns serve the same purpose as traditional crowns: to repair and restore damaged or weakened teeth. The difference occurs in how CEREC crowns achieve that goal.
The CEREC procedure uses computer-aided design (CAD) and computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) to perform the entire dental crown process. It only takes one office appointment.
Here’s what the process looks like when you receive a CEREC crown at Dr. Lozano’s San Diego, CA office:
- An intraoral scanner takes pictures of your teeth to create a digital impression
- CAD/CAM software machine creates a digital tooth restoration
- The CEREC milling machine mills your new crown from a block of ceramic in less than 15 minutes
- Dr. Bennett polishes, prepares, and places the crown onto your affected toot
This process is far more simple and efficient than the normal process for crowns. No more taking messy impressions and waiting for a separate lab to return the final crown for placement!
The Top Benefits of CEREC Same-Day Crowns
CEREC same-day crowns offer unique benefits that were once impossible.
- Rapid Results. CEREC technology works so quickly that your tooth can be restored in as little as one hour, in one single visit. That means no pesky temporary restorations or follow-up appointments to worry about!
- Precise Customization. The CEREC process is designed to preserve as much of your natural enamel as possible because it’s precisely milled to your tooth’s shape and structure.
- Aesthetically Pleasing. CEREC same-day crowns are customized to match the color of your surrounding teeth. The translucent porcelain material also creates a natural appearance that looks completely natural. When you smile, nobody will know your tooth contains a crown.
Overall, CEREC same day dental crowns create beautiful and customized restorations that last decades. Gone are the days of taking messy impressions and dealing with temporary restorations before your final crown fitting.
Visit RB Dental Excellence For CEREC Same Day Crowns
Dr. Lozano and his team at RB Dental Excellence are proud to offer CEREC same day crowns to patients seeking superior dental restorations.
Call our office today to skip the wait and the hassle. A beautiful, long-lasting dental crown can enhance your smile in just a few hours at RB Dental Excellence.